Navigation bar



Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Painting the Front Door: Part 1

I decided to start working on a project I've been putting off for awhile today- painting the front door. It needs re-painted on the inside and I would like to re-paint the outside for fun. The previous homeowners had painted all the trim in the house white but painted the inside of the front door a cream color that matched the walls. The front door goes right into the living room so when we painted the living room gray the cream colored door looked really out of place. Also, it looked like it had been a long time since it was painted because it was dirty and chipped in places. Here's what it looked like before:

ugly cream color- it just looks dirty!

chipped spot at the top right

chipped spot at the top left and ugly hinges

chip in the middle

scuffed and dirty at the bottom

chipped and dirty to the right of the door handle


And after two coats of interior white latex semi-gloss paint (left over from other projects):
beautiful!

Here is the outside of the front door:



with the storm door

the exterior of our house

I really want to paint the front door a glossy black but if I do I'm afraid we'll need to either take the storm door off or get a black one. Also, our house looks a little bland to me so I thought that maybe a color would give it more interest. There is always classic red but I feel like it is so expected. If I did a color it would probably be a blue- either a turquoise or a royal blue. So we have some decisions to make! Meanwhile, enjoy these great pictures of front doors that inspire me.

 this is almost exactly what I'd like our front door/step look like!
Love the black door, the windows on either side, and the brick step!









This is a color I totally hadn't thought of but really like!

What do you guys think would look best? Have you ever painted your front door? How did it turn out?








Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lindsey! Your talent never ceases to amaze. I, think the turquoise or a royal blue would be lovely. It's unexpected, yet inviting, goes wonderfully with autumn oranges yellows and reds, gives a lovely pop to the winter snow and makes a beautiful canvas for a spring wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! I like the turquoise blue one! or the mustard yellow... vintage/modern is my fave!

    ReplyDelete