Navigation bar



Thursday, January 6, 2011

Packing for a Trip 101; Part 2

Here are some more packing tips for you- most of which I have learned from experience. So let my previous packing mistakes help you on your next trip! I was planning on having pictures with this post. I know it's way more interesting with photos but I'm still not feeling that great and I just didn't have the energy. I hope you'll still read through my tips!

TIP #1 PACK 2 MORE PAIRS OF UNDERWEAR THAN DAYS OF YOUR TRIP
This is just a little rule of thumb that I came up with to make sure I never run out of underwear on my trips. I like to have a couple of extra pairs just in case i need to change in the middle of the day. It is a good idea to put the extra couple of pairs in your carry on bag just in case your bags get lost.

TIP #2 PACK MORE THAN ONE BATHING SUIT
Always pack more than one bathing suit for a beach vacation since you will most likely be wearing one everyday and they don't always dry completely overnight. There is nothing worse than trying to put on a cold wet suit! I like to always bring at least one black bathing suit just in case you might be swimming in a river or lake that could discolor other suits.

TIP #3 PACK CLOTHES THAT DO DOUBLE DUTY
Pack clothing that you can wear multiple ways or for multiple occasions. Think dresses that can be a swimsuit cover up by day and a dress to wear to dinner at night. Wear a sweatshirt or jacket on the plane that you can wear on a cool night when you get there.

TIP #4 ALWAYS WEAR YOUR BULKIEST ITEMS ON THE PLANE
If you wear your largest items on the plane then you don't have to take up that room in you suitcase. It's as simple as that! If you need a coat, wear it on the plane. Wear your biggest shoes to the airport instead of letting them take up half your suitcase.

TIP #5 DON'T CHECK ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
Leave those valuables at home but if you must bring them it is best to pack them in your carry on bag where you can keep a close eye on them.

TIP #6 USE A CARRY ON BAG WITH WHEELS
I learned this lesson first hand. Once, while on a trip I took a carry on bag that I had to carry and let me tell you it was not light! Well, it wouldn't have been a big deal but on our layover the connecting flight was at the opposite end of the Atlanta airport. After walking all the way there they informed us that they moved it back to where we had just some from! Needless to say my back and arms were killing me from lugging that bag all over Atlanta! my favorite carry on bags are ones that look like backpacks but have wheels. Unlike a traditional suitcase on wheels, they are easy to get into when you need your magazine on the plane but then you can wheel them through the airport- Genious!

TIP #7 STICK TO THE THREE SHOE RULE
As I mentioned before shoes take up the most room in a suitcase. For that reason I try to on take three pairs including the ones I wear there! For this trip I will be wearing a comfortable walking shoe on the plane that way I will have them if I want to work out at the resort gym or if I need them for an excursion outside of the resort. I will also be packing a pair of flat sandals to wear on the beach and a pair of dressy sandals to wear to dinner. Three is all you need!

TIP #8 PACK A SMART CARRY ON BAG
This is what I never fly without:
my IPhone
headphones
reading material and celebrity crosswords
a large scarf that I can wrap up in if I get cold
moisturizing lip balm
sea bands for motion sickness
snacks
chewing gum
passport and ID
pen and paper
wipes to freshen up with 
hand sanitizer
extra underwear
one change of clothes- this is especially important if you are changing climates

TIP #9 STAY HYDRATED!
Flying can really dry you out so take precaution! Not only do I get a big bottle of water as soon as I get through security I also make sure I wear a good face moisturizer and I take along my Jane Iredale Pomegranate face hydrating mist to refresh my skin as needed- I love that stuff!

Well, I hope this was helpful and not too boring. Remember I will be gone all next week in paradise with my wonderful husband of 10 years. Thanks for 10 incredible years, Jason! I Love You! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment