Navigation bar



Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Living Room Update

My biggest goal for 2015 was to give my house some much needed attention. From cleaning to re-decorating, my home definitely got neglected in the business of 2014. When my blog started over 4 years ago I intended it to be a fashion AND home blog but I've really gotten away from the home part. We had just bought our first house when I started the blog so we were doing a lot of projects around the house. I think because it was new I was excited but over time that excitement dimmed. So over that past few weeks I've been busy breathing some new life into the adorable 1942 cape cod we fell in love with over 4 years ago. 

I started with the living room since this is the room where we spend most of our time. In the past I have gone with a mostly calm neutral palate. I decided to add some fun pops of color to keep our spirits high during the blah months of winter.







Around the room tour:






 The details:
 
 First, I redid the display on this bookshelf. I added a few books (it is a bookshelf after all!) in strategic groups of color. I moved the record player over from the campaign dresser. But I kept the trio of grass on the top shelf and my favorite animal figurines including Owl Roker, Percy the alpaca, and my vintage wiener dogs passed down to me from my grandma!
 Then  I re-dressed the campaign dresser by the front door. I got the type writer out from storage. I love it because my husband is a writer (and I guess I am too!). I added a stack of fashion books including Alexander McQueen, The Sartorialist, and my Nate Berkus books. I also got these red flowers out of storage where they have been since me moved in. Pops of red make me so happy!
 I moved some pillows around as well. I made the orange pillow in the middle of the couch from IKEA fabric. I am strangely obsessed with this box of Issac Mizarahi tissues! This cute lamp was thrifted for like 5 bucks!
 I left the gallery wall above the tv alone for now but I am in the process of ordering new pictures to put in the frames! I love photography so all of the frames have pictures in them that I took! The frame on the far left end houses my souvenir pennies! All of the frames are from the thrift store!

I am also looking for something to hang on the wall by the door with hooks for coats and a new tv stand that isn't so open so it hides the cords. I've had my eye on this one from Target but I would rather find one at the thrift store and paint it to save money.

What do you think of my humble abode?
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. You have such a lovely, warm & homely space! It'd be great to see more interior posts :)
    Maeve // Thrift O'Clock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style. You've displayed interesting pieces in every area of the room without making it feel cluttered. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, as I'm looking at your pictures, I'm realizing that our living rooms look about the same size and with the same layout, so I'm considering 'stealing' your furniture layout, if you don't mind... ;) I love all those pops of color against that grey wall, my favorite detail has to be that little stack of red books that ties into all the other reds in the room.

    Grace @ http://livingwithaholts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your living room, especially the pops of colour! Looks fun :)

    xoxo
    Andréa Christine
    Polette Eyewear Review | SimplyFashionTV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh.... Girl I have been waiting for you to come back to this house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pop of red against the glass! Your room looks really chic, great mix of colour and quirky items. I like that it looks comfortable and like you can actually use the space too, not just for display!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The greater majority of my household furniture and decor is thrifted, so I'd love to see some inspiration from you because I love your style! I'm always trying to think about how I can use my thrifted pieces better and how to make my home look it's best. I love that rug, too! Looking forward to more home posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the house has a comeback! come spring, you need to show off them steps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you attach the elongated pennies in the frame? I collect them and have always wondered how to display them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used two two straight pins pushed in at an angle at the bottom of each penny. The frame is actually a shadow box with a cork back.

      Delete
  10. What is the color of paint on your living room walls? I have Revere Pewter on 3 of my walls and crimson on the 4th. I am looking to paint the Crimson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember but I'll try to find out! I know it was from the Martha Stewart paint line!

      Delete
  11. You can recreate that thing from, target with a thrift store dresser and some chalk paint. drill holes in the back of it for the cards and boom you're done.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder I like your blog so much - you are a fellow penny collector! Have never seen them used for decorating, what a great idea. I've got mine all in notebooks, labeled with dates I got them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE THIS! Warm and cozy with pops of color. Love all of the little details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely. I wish I had your knack for decorating (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the color palette, I think it's charming and inspirational. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete