Navigation bar



Monday, November 21, 2011

My Story: Just Say YES!


 vintage sweater: Volunteers of America $1.25
leopard scarf: H&M $10
jeans: Banana Republic via Goodwill $4.99
boots: Aldo gift $0
top bracelet: F21 $3.99
bottom bracelet: H&M $3.99
Total Cost: $24.22

I couldn't wait to wear this new sweater I got last week. I first showed in this past Friday. I just love the color and the cable knit and for only $1.25 it was a total steal!

I had a really cool opportunity on Sunday to speak to a group of high school girls about blogging and most importantly what God has done in me through my blog. The topic was Ordinary Girl; Extraordinary God. It was all about how God can use ANYONE to do extraordinary things! I thought I'd be really vulnerable again today and share my story with you too! 

I started this blog about a year and a half ago as an outlet for my love of fashion and home decor. I have always felt like God has gifted me in the area of making things and people look more beautiful. For a long time though I struggled with how I can use these seemingly secular gifts for the glory of God. But through writing this blog God has taught me so much! 

A few months into writing my blog I got a message from Volunteers of America asking me to be at their grand opening of their new Henderson Rd. store to speak to the media as a thrift shopping expert. I was so honored to get to share my tips on the Fox 28 morning show Good Day Columbus! Then the next day, I received a message from the producer at Fox and she said they loved my segment and asked me to come in the studio and do a thrift store fashion show. That went so well I was soon given a monthly spot every 4th Monday on Fox 28! 

All of this is so super exciting but what people don't know about me is that I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder. It is something that has continuously held me back in life because of the crippling fear I feel inside of doing anything that involves speaking or being around other people. It can manifest itself very differently in different people but for me It was almost completely an internal battle. My friends and colleges had no idea how much I was suffering because I did my best to not let it show and to keep it all inside. Well, I don't recommend doing that! Since I've started to let people know and receive prayer for it I have been able to start receiving so much more freedom in this area!

When I started this blog, I thought it would be great because I would get to do what I love but that I also could do it without having to talk to anyone or do anything that made me uncomfortable. Well, as He often does, God had other plans for me! As you can imagine when I was asked to be on the news my first reaction was absolutely not! I saw other bloggers doing things like that and that was great for them but I wouldn't be able to do it myself! But, I felt God urging me to say Yes, so I did! I was beyond panicked to be on the news almost to the point of a panic attack the night before but I knew if God asked me to so this that He would not let me fail. Not only did I not fail but I also gained a new sense of confidence in myself and in God's ability to take care of me. Every time I step out and do something uncomfortable God meets me and I get to experience His love for me! I still feel scared a lot but I am no longer held back by my fears. As my friend Sara says, I "do it scared"! 

There is so much God can teach us when we step out of our comfort zones. You won't learn anything in life by hiding on the side lines. God asked that we take that first step but He promises that He will meet us. All we have to do is say YES!

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Lindsey, the story of you is so touching. I had no idea. I am very happy that you were able to overcome your inner fear. My mom always says- God never gives us to handle more than we can actually handle. I want you to know that your blog has been a tremendous inspiration to me, and your kindness and love for what you do is a reason for your success!
    Good luck, darling!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey-

    I just discovered your blog and I am already in love!

    I find myself struggling with the same things you did... I love making things and people more beautiful, but I wonder what that can help me do for God. You have inspired me so much to keep experimenting with my own blog and staying open to God's will for my life!

    God bless!
    Jill

    Favor the Brave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skinny M and Jill- Thank you guys so much for your kind words. I am so glad you both have been inspired by God's work in my life!

    God Bless!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw you go girl! What a great story - love that you are able to "speak" in many ways - you have the most bubbly personality that comes through in your outfits!!!

    Love this!
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsey! we met a long time ago when my sister and I went thrifting with you and Jaymie at salvation army in C-bus...just had to say I commend you for writing about this and for how far your blog has come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story Lindsey. God is good! I have asked Him to send me followers, and to help me with my blog. He does hold true to his promises. 3 years ago I could not navigate my way around the internet let alone work a computer. Congratulations on all of your success...feel the fear but do it anyway. Lovely color on you and great outfit. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite post of yours. Yes GOD can do all, especially when we don't think its possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love ur knit!!

    come to visit my blog, ill be waiting for u!
    xx

    http://thechicattitude.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    Your post from today brought me to tears as you have such a moving testimony. Our Lord is so merciful and takes us places we never thought possible before. I have been following your blog for a few months now, and what I loved about it was your thriftiness as I love thrifting myself, to a point where I asked God if I was addicted to shopping! lol But that is a different story.
    So, today to read about your faith in God, and how He is taking you places you never thought you could go, moved me to tears. I have suffered of this most of my life as well, and I get panicky anytime I have to meet new people as I somehow think I can't measure up. I am a 28-year-old wife and mother of 3, and I started a blog as well about God and what I am learning in my walk with Him.
    I will stop here and know that you are not alone but if we keep affirming who we are in Christ, He will give us this confidence, not in ourselves, but in Him.
    God bless you for being vulnerable and sharing your life.

    Doris
    adorislinda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this. it's been so much fun walking through all of this with you! can't wait to see what the next 5 years will bring! loves.

    ReplyDelete